Our HealthCrush Holiday Survival Challenge is going strong! The Challengers were asked to take a recipe and lighten it up and add additional protein using egg whites. Here are their submissions.
Fun Fact: We learned that containers of egg whites are pasteurized, so you can add them to smoothies and recipes without cooking them.
Lisa’s Half Healthy Pumpkin Pie Filling
1/2 c. egg whites
3/4 c. sugar
1 tbsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
3/4 c. skim milk
3/4 c. light cream
1 can pumpkin puree
1. Mix all ingredients well.
2. Pour into unbaked pie crust already in pan.
3. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes then lower temperature to 350 degrees and bake for approximately 40 minutes more.
Nonstick Egg White Muffins
1. Saute vegetables of choice.
2. Cut 1 Flat-Out Protein Up wrap into 24 pieces.
3. Line each muffin tin with the wraps.
4. Pile in the vegetables.
5. Fill each muffin tin to its top with liquid egg whites.
6. Top with grated cheese if desired.
7. Bake at 375 degrees for 10-14 minutes until golden brown.
Egg White and Oat Garlic Pizza Crust
1. 1 c. old fashioned oats
2. 2/3 c. egg whites
3. 1/2 c. water
4. 1 tbsp. flour
5. 1 tsp. garlic salt
6. 1 tbsp. garlic paste
7. pizza sauce and toppings of your choice
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Mix oats, egg whites, water, flour, garlic salt and paste in a bowl. Blend until smooth.
3. Spray cooking spray in a large skillet.
4. Cook for 5 minutes over medium heat until edges brown.
5. Gently flip over and cook the other side 2-3 minutes.
6. Put crust into baking pan and add sauce and toppings.
7. Bake 10 minutes, until cheese is melted.
Martha’s Scrambled Eggs with Herbs
4 egg whites
2 tbsp shredded cheddar cheese (2% reduced fat)
1 tbsp chopped cilantro or other herbs
Cholula hot sauce (optional)
1. Separate eggs and discard yolks.
2. Whip egg whites with whisk until frothy and doubled in size.
3. Pour into non-stick (or greased) frying pan.
4. Sprinkle cheese over egg whites and gently stir until firm.
5. Add chopped cilantro and hot sauce if desired.
1/2 c. diced tomato
1/2 c. diced red peppers
1 c. egg whites
1/4 c. skim milk
2 slices turkey bacon
2 slices whole grain bread
1 tsp. of McCormick salt free spice mix
1 tsp. Canola oil
1 pinch salt
1. Cook turkey bacon in microwave (3 minutes).
2. Toss red peppers and tomato in pan with oil.
3. Pour the milk and egg whites and mix with spices and a pinch of salt.
4. Pour the mix into pan and cook.
5.Place bacon and cooked eggs between the slices of bread to make a sandwich for a good mix of carbs and protein.